Thursday, July 17, 2003

Anthropomorphism

Soundtrack - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements

The weather seems to have broken though the cloud is now so thick I am beginning to wonder if the Meteorite has struck and this is the Winter which follows. There was nothing on the news so I think we are probably safe.

I sat in our 'break-out' area yesterday (euphemism for room with tables and Vending machines) because it is the only place on the floor with air-conditioning. I suddenly got the impression that the machines were watching me and at any moment would launch themselves through the air to get back the coffee I had stolen from them. The human desire to find faces in everything is unnerving. My daughter does it all the time. We were driving past a long line of regency style houses in town the other day when she pointed out that the doors had faces, the upper long panels being the eyes while the letter boxes were mouths. From simply being doors we now had a row of red faces staring at us. Luckily the lights changed and we moved on before I got really spooked. I really need that digital camera don't I?

The current track from those lovely people at Stereolab is I'm Going Out Of My Way and it fits beautifully with the day. I feel like I am in some 60s movie like Georgy Girl or Alfie. (Oi! Stop messing me about). I was born in the sixties but it seems like ancient history now. Sometimes I get these looping thoughts regarding history. The beginning of the 20th Century is within some living memory and yet take a hundred years off now and you are within living memory of the Napoleonic wars. As Hillyer said in A Child's History Of The World, the (then) 1900 years or so since the birth of Christ is only 19 lives each of one hundred years lived sequentially. Keep that in mind when you think about history. The four hundred years between the Death of Elizabeth I and now are but a blip. We are little different from the Tudors; the basis of our moral outlook was already in place as was our language and culture. Lead on.

Oh! Here is Jenny Ondioline which I mentioned in my second ever Blog entry here. Bliss out on this track if you have it. This is music for musicians. And of course on the same page you get the poem "Proteus" of which I am very proud. Is that against any blog etiquette? Repetition is always viable. For most of the time that there has been music on this earth, it has been repetitive and while I can appreciate complexity in music, it is the repetition which gets the more primeval instincts going. Which maybe why wrinklies (my membership card is probably being printed at this very moment) complain about youngsters' music being thump-thump; they have suppressed the more basic desires within themselves and crave more 'enlightened' (as they see it) cultural activities. (Either that or they do the "This has got a good beat" thing (Copyright Hugh Dennis I think). I find myself complaining about 'modern music' with my normal comparison of the repetitiveness of most pop-songs when compared to the so-called minimalism of messrs Glass and Reich. It does seem that to have a memorable hit record these days you need to do a cover - The Tide is High, Favourite Things (which must annoy the writers because the Big Brovaz version says exactly the opposite of the simple message of the original - Oh! I have missed the joke have I? I must be a wrinkly - pass the Wintergreen).

Ach Avey!



No comments: