Tuesday, April 16, 2002

What NOT to write

As you have probably seen from lots of Blogs, the big problem is deciding what to write. Witness the "umming" and "erring" that appears at the start of many Blogs. I suspect the problem is not that there is nothing to write about but that there is too much and the problem is deciding which part of your experience to detail. Today's soundtrack is "Passion - Sources" - the companion album to the soundtrack to "The Last Temptation of Christ" (A Terrible title by the way). If you have never heard anything by "Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan" then you have missed something wonderful. I have had my finger poised on the Shift key for at least a minute trying to decide what to write and all I can give you is this equivalent of an um or an err.

There is a rowing eight with 7 men steering and 1 man rowing. (Thank you Martin for the analogy). Why is it that only the man rowing can see that this is ludicrous? I suppose it is because the 7 men steering get paid a lot more than the man rowing and as the men steering define the structure of the crew, they also define the structure of their pay scale and choose not to see the absurdity. Apply this to Government and what do you get? I will let you work that out for yourself.

I heard the bells of the nearest Church for the first time this Sunday. There is something quite special about a full peal but writing about them leaves me with a little guilt as it seems so "tank-top and Flask of tea". You might get funny looks just hanging about outside Church Towers listening to the bells. Bell ringing is a little like a Steve Reich progression though my wife would probably not agree as a lot of Steve Reich's music irritates her intensely and I think she quite likes Church Bells. Anyway with a good set of Midi Bell sounds and a bit of VB, I think I could imitate quite a good peal (after the Neural Net and the Fractals etc of course).

The soundtrack has reached "Magdalene's House" which is rather appropriate as I the Rogier Van de Weyden picture is still on the wall in front of me. I did not realise that the picture is unusual because Mary Magdalen is usualy depicted in a red dress rather than the luxurious green one in "The Magdalen Reading". I may have mentioned that this picture is often compared to the Van Eyck picture normally called "The Arnolfini Marriage" (though there is now some doubt about this) simply because the Green dresses in both pictures are so similar.

A bit bitty today probably because I was thinking about thinking about what to write ( and I do mean "thinking about thinking about" - meta thinking if you like). Time to post.

No comments: