Wednesday, April 17, 2002

What happened in 1532?

I wish I knew. Someone here said that the year 1532 seems to ring a bell with them but while there WAS plenty going on at the time, none of it seems to be Earth Shattering for European or US History. It was the end of the Incan Empire which is pretty Earth Shattering if you are an Inca (and may be again if all those South American ideas about the end of this World cycle in the next few years). Thomas Cranmer was married in this year but again not a big thing. Anne Boleyn was 4 years away from being executed so Henry VIII was in the middle of his attempt to marry every elegible European woman. If you have any idea, then email me at RDeWeyden@Hotmail.com.

There are so many things to do in the World. Not only do I have trouble deciding what to write here but I begin to get shaky at the thought of having to decide what to do in the future. Soon, man will have the whole world boxed off in some Virtual reality simulation - a sort of limited version of Newton's Majestic Clockwork where every part of the Earth down to a certain scale will be defined in some data bank somewhere and we will be able to visit any part via the Web. The day will come when you will not be able to tell whether you are in the simulation or in the real world. This is turning into "The Matrix" so I will leave off here. I will just mention "Vurt" which might not mean much so here is a link to something useful :- "AllTheWeb".

Let us have a little elegance today. I like to think my programs are elegant. It is easy to tell if code is elegant - you feel it. It is right. The code I am amending right now is definitely NOT elegant. Have you ever seen :-

For Z = 1 to X ^ 2

? and this for an accounts program. This bit is simply reading in a configuration file. Anyway I will "Fix it up and Ship it out". Sometimes I think I work at M*A*S*H.

Our Office Magnetic Poetry kit shows this at the moment :-

NigelLike

Delirious Spring Eternity
shakes bitter winter.
Still, sweet gardens
shine like Summer dreams.
A thousand moons
wax in languid water
with frantic, flooding beauty
and beneath rain,
when iron visions cry
some blue symphony,
as the forest falls,
a death-like moment.

No comments: