Monday, April 29, 2002

Thank you to The Scumfrog

Soundtrack - "RadioAxiom" - Jah Wobble and Bill Laswell

I suspect I read this somewhere. I have noticed that if you ask someone to think of a number between 1 and 100, the answer is usually either a Prime number or the digits of it are Prime. I propose that the magnitude of the range up to which this holds true is dependent on how much maths education the questionee has had. I like to think that if we ask Stephen Hawking this question, he will automatically answer with a Prime that is greater than the highest one known. Ask him again and he will give you the next one. Easy! Forget all these distributed computing projects. Now if we could only find a simlilar method for SETI.

On the subject of SETI, is it not possible that every day we see or hear avidence of transmissions from Aliens trying to contact us. Surely some of the snow on the TV or the static on the radio could be the interference from these tranmissions. Then again, it could be that the Aliens have found some other form of communication. Maybe they use gravity waves or something related to the "Dark Energy" that was put forward as the explanation for the Expansion of the Universe. Modulation of Neutrinos? Maybe not. How do you interact with something which absolutely, positively does NOT want to react? If they were people neutrinos would always be found in the Kitchen at Parties but even then they would not talk to each other. Actually, they probably wouldn't go to parties because they couldn't pick up the invitations. At this moment billions of the little devils have passed through this article (in all its locations - the screen here, the wires between me and Blog Central and BC's disk drives) and are now trying to damage me, but my lack of density has got the better of them.

The Monday morning football discussions have started and while they don't quite have the impact that the Clone Wars did (will have), they do stop all other thoughts and conversations dead until at least 10 o'clock. I only wish I would get as much attention if I broke my foot.




No comments: