Friday, April 12, 2002


Famous until after Lunch

Well I have 15 minutes to fill but I don't think it will be my "Warhol moment". I don't think I actually want one anyway. I saw "24 Hour Party People" Yesterday. Like a cross between "The Doors" and any one of the Carry ons. I was the only person in the Cinema so it probably won't be on for much longer but it should do well on video. It was too fragmentary to comment on really so I think maybe I will turn to the "Dead Can Dance" retrospective instead. As usual for a 4AD band, the packaging is beautiful - a pure white box and a simple cardboard booklet stuffed with photos (The sort of photos you would discard from the pile but put together they have a suitable cohesiveness). I have to thank one of my Flatmates from long, long ago for my interest in this band. My most "off-line" records up to hearing DCD for the first time, were "Zazu" by Rosie Vela and "World Service" by Man Jumping. Duncan got me into "The Cocteau Twins" via "Victorialand" which I thought at the time was a lost soundtrack to my teenage years and is the spark for a few poems and even the ideas for a bit of a book (though everyone says that don't they?) This led to "Throwing Muses" , and a general fixation with "4AD" . "Rakim" by DCD is sublime. Listen to it.

No comments: