Friday, February 19, 2010

Otter Ming oo


Minitrue yesterday.

We were all in Manchester yesterday and while the town itself is very impressive, all tall buildings and trains and trams passing through at different levels like some Magic-Realistic invention, the process of getting there was filled with frustrations. The continuous Orwellian tannoy announcements regarding CCTV being there for "your safety and security", the extortionate prices for what as far as I am concerned are basic human rights (it's not a penny you have to spend anymore), and the ticket collectors who have recently morphed into a team of bouncers who may or may not be armed under all those black jackets and military style pouches, make the whole thing depressingly unfamiliar. I can't help feeling that the 150 or so photographs I took myself yesterday are far outnumbered by the number of CCTV cameras I actually appeared on just walking around. I am not sure I am comforted by the view that this keeps me safe and secure.


No comments: