Monday, February 15, 2010

Argumentum ad Ignorantiam

(Cos I can't find the Latin for "Argument from personal incredulity" which I think is what I really mean.)

Where have you been? Where have you been you mean.

The book list has fragmented a little bit. I am reading The Eyre Affair on a sort-of-recommendation from Ed over there, though he doesn't actually mention the book, rather an audience with the author. Not sure whether I like it or not at the moment. The literary basis is great but some of the detail seems to remind me of other books, notably The Difference Engine. I'm also ploughing through The QI book of the Dead where my mind seems to be one sentence ahead of the text - in the Chapter on The Monkey Keepers I was suddenly reminded by a description of Madame Mao of Mrs Coulter from the His Dark Materials series and within seconds there she was. And then in a section on John Dee I thought about Giant Flying Beetles having been subconsciously reminded of one that was mentioned in Hunt Emerson's Phenomenomix strip from The Fortean Times. I suspect that at least one of Lloyd and Mitchinson are regular FT readers.

I'm also trying to find out about a book I nearly bought on a three-for-two in Waterstones the other day, realising it was an important one to read and then mindlessly forgetting everything apart from its cover. Update when I find it.

No comments: