Sunday, March 15, 2009

Serendipity and Over-Enthusiasm


I got up early yesterday with a view to avoiding the crowds at the barbers and thinking I was early enough, decided not to take a book to read. I was just beaten to the chair by someone and had to pick something from the standard pile of magazines in the corner where I found this :-



The barber couldn't tell where it had come from but he let me keep it. I am beginning to wonder if I have just flipped from one universe to another as I have not heard of this paper ever - I am imagining a black-hole in my brain, some piece of mystical hypnotism that has kept the existence of it from me. It is what the NME used to be when it was good and then so much more, the missing link between Wire and Mojo, a collection of great writing, bands you really should hear and a layout that obviously references David Carson in a subtly English way. I thought at first it might be some music section from a Sunday Paper but the writing is obviously not of that style. As it is free I think it is probably left lying around students' Unions and various dingy flats to add an air of coolness. You can subscribe but it seems silly to pay three pounds for each issue when it can be had for nothing. I'd of course need two - one for keeping and reading and one for the scrapbook.

My current and immediate obsession from Stool Pigeon is with the two wonderful songs of Smoke Fairies who take the sweet folk of Pooka and drag it round America in the back of a freight wagon with Jack Kerouac before coming home and dressing up like Sloan Rangers channeling any number of long-dead bluesmen. Too much you think? Listen and make up your own mind. 

All this means I have far too much to read -


Oh well the last one was pretend though as I have mentioned many times before my dad does have a book on the history of concrete but he was a civil engineer. Very civil he is too.

Well done to Robert Webb - weird but strangely hypnotic.

No comments: