Sunday, March 22, 2009

Floating Rescue Station


This is a graphic from Britain's Wonderful Air Force, an Odhams Press book published during World War Two, a copy of which my brother and I destroyed by breaking the spine in order to trace the various drawings of aircraft in it. However, my favourite picture over the years is this one - an anchored rescue float for airmen downed in the channel. There was a German version as well, a square or hexagonal float more like a buoy but this one looks much better. I like the idea of a few hours spent in relative comfort and warmth , well supplied with food before being picked up by a fast launch. I'd be tempted to wait until the food was mostly gone before radioing for help but then again I would have run a mile if anyone had suggested that I actually fly in a warplane. I realise the reality of being stuck on one of these in the dark on a rough sea is probably different from my romantic image but then again war is always posted as being much more glamorous than it really is so that the farm boys don't get scared off. I am not cynical!

No comments: