Thursday, February 26, 2009

Six Horse Pills and a Teddy Bear



When I had just started work full time, I was often skitted by my immediate bosses for what they called "my italic handwriting". In those days (I feel old) typing documents was done by secretaries and I took comfort in the fact that they said that my writing was actually the easiest to understand. It will be sad if handwriting does cease to exist as this article suggests but it has only been in the last 150 years that more than a small percentage of people could actually write and only say half a millennium since writing (and reading) was only done by very few people. Handwriting is, I suppose, the rigorous framework which gives structure to our thoughts and lets us speak in a clear way so it will be useful for everyone to learn to write. I am slightly worried by the idea in Went the Day Well? that the undercover Germans were discovered because they put lines across the written number 7 in that strange "continental way"; I've always done that - I had to look back in the notebook to check.

Second story is how The Daily telegraph chose to prefix the story regarding the fossils which prove that fish started having sex longer ago than first thought.

Philip Larkin was nearly 380 million years out when he wrote that sexual intercourse began in 1963, it appears, after scientists found an ancient fossil of a pregnant fish.
Brilliant!

And finally, I spotted some Lorem Ipsum in the pages backing a BBC4 ident about their motoring season. The pages were in the style of a Haynes Manual but all the text was Lorem Ipsum - shortcuts at the BBC? never! Anyway maybe they could have used the text from this one.

No comments: