Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Slithy Slitheen Slakes Slim Sluggard

Listening to In Rainbows which has grown from just a great driving record to one of the all time best records ever ever guv!

I am all out of notebook ideas apart from a slightly ribald poem which references a strange ode by Clive James (ironically I hope - though that is itself ironic in an attempt to further distance myself from the old man of television). Postmodernism - dontcha just love it?

I am currently in the middle of at least three books, though this ignores the countless volumes jettisoned over the years - I'm trying to use the library more to avoid pointless purchases - yet another result of The Credit Crunch. I suppose it is sufficiently advanced to warrant capitalisation along with such things as Global Warming and Sarah Palin though I suspect that Ms. Palin might well be in the Anti-Global Warming camp what with her links to the Oil Industry. She's six days younger than me you know. And - yes - there it is - "Palin does not believe that global warming is human-caused". My problem with that is - even if that is the case - and climate cycles have indeed changed over the years without any humans being around - I am sure that dirty industry is still bad for us. Emissions of any sort are accompanied by good-old, dirty pollution. If we are going to warm up anyway, let's not add carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide and all the other nasty "ides" to the mix. Too simple an argument I suppose but I have never liked the idea of complexity for its own sake. Simplify people!


Some nice wind power for you to finish. This is on Coniston again, right down at the South end away from the main jetties where it all seems so small and out of another age. The house used as Beckfoot (The Amazons' home) in the film is just to the right of this picture. There were two Herons on the lawn, not disturbed at all by all the canoes, launches and dinghies sputtering about. I wish I was back there.

Och A Vay.

No comments: