Monday, September 08, 2008

Old Tin Whiskers


Stingray anyone? How did a monstrosity like this get put up here? I'm all for modernism but it has to fit with the surroundings. This is in Kendal by the way which was actually quite nice though the use of a corrugated roof around the shopping centre as a disposal area for used nappies did reduce the charm somewhat. I was almost fired up enough to write to whatever organisation handles "Angry of Tunbridge Wells" letters in that part of the world but Arthur Ransome's room at the Museum of Lakeland Life did make everything a little better.

Much hilarity in this office today at a memo regarding Zinc Whiskers which in all seriousness can be quite damaging in large-scale computer installations. I haven't had to visit server rooms for some years but I will be very careful regarding this problem should I have to in future. I do know a man who will surely be up-to-speed with this phenomenon - which is lead-in to a plug for Particle Measuring.

More ranting. There seems to a recent trend of taking mobile calls inside toilet facilities (apologies for my non-u terminology) and worse still while standing at the urinals or even in the traps. The only message of any import that needs to be taken in a toilet is "THE WORLD IS ABOUT TO END - I DIDN'T WANT YOU TO GO WITH YOUR TROUSERS DOWN." The question is ; do the people on the other end of the phone know? The echo and various comfort station noises should give quite a clue. Is it just me who finds this quite upsetting? I think that a rule should be that if you have a mobile phone in one hand you should not have anything in the other except a pen or a mouse.

No comments: