Thursday, January 08, 2004

Steenbeck Editing Machine

Listening to - Gregorian Chant
Reading - Ted Hughes Collected Poems
Just finished Reading - The centre of the Bed - the Autobiography of Joan Bakewell

Well the Gregorian Chant is purely for calming down after I could not find anything else appropriate in this PCs media library. Actually I might have listened to Quiet by Sheila Chandra but the Chant is first alphabetically. Well you don't really need to know my thought processes do you though I suppose it makes you aware of my rarefied mood; I could have happily sat in the car outside the office this morning listening to the rain on the roof but I managed to force myself inside.

I had a dream in comic strip yesterday. I cannot remember all the details except that I was one of three people competing to complete a dive or something else involving holding one's breath. I won and the final frame was of the other two contestants frozen in front of the flare that had been set off to mark my victory. Funnily I realised that I should breath deeply before the dive in order to flood my blood with oxygen and I was still breathing deeply when I woke up.

The Joan Bakewell Autobiography is very good. It left me with that feeling of disappointment at completion that I usually only get with novels. Joan Bakewell is one of those people who you always think of as twenty years younger than she actually is. This may be why she writes a column for the Guardian called Just 70. I just wish I had bothered to stay up for all those Heart of the Matter programs when they were tucked away late on Sunday nights.

No comments: