Monday, January 19, 2004

The German Guns

Listening to - Silence - (Forgot the headphones - a personal and repeating performance of 4'33")

Boom boom boom boom
Boom boom ....


That's enough of that.

Alice Bachini says we must go and vote for Blackadder as the best sitcom and I think I might agree with her. I am not sure whether I agree with her on her opinion of 4'33" as I am not really clear as to what it is. I think she thinks of it as a sort of Emperor?s new Clothes. Now if 4'33" had been written by a well-known producer of music-less music (in the style of artless artists) then I might have agreed with her but as John Cage actually can string a few notes together and produce real symphonies I can take it as a slightly long and slightly boring comment on something quite interesting. I seem to remember about Brian Eno having lots of tapes of the gaps between notes or tracks which he uses to add 'ambient silence' to other records that he produces. He also has some favourite recording of crickets of some such insect that he plays over the top of other sounds or loops to make them more interesting or effective or something like that. Alice is probably lumping me in with the people who take the wrong things too seriously.

What should we take seriously? (I don't mean this question to be any slight on Alice's comment).

I was going to post a poem here but I have the usual dilemma of which one. Never mind. More tomorrow.

No comments: