Thursday, August 27, 2009

Oscar Wilde! What a Git!


I finished the Lizzie Siddal biography last night; there were no real revelations though the author Lucinda Hawksley does seem to assert that there was indeed a suicide note based on a 1949 biography by the Granddaughter of one of the main figures in the tale (probably Ford Madox Brown but I can't remember). However, one of the last tales is the gossip regarding Lizzie's death put about by a certain wit and playwright of Irish origin who claimed it was murder on the part of DGR. It is poignant then that in this story, the school aesthete gets named after Wilde. The idea that the PRB "were the spiritual forebears of both the Happy Mondays and the Blackpool Illuminations" is maybe a candidate for Pseuds' Corner but I can see where it comes from. I've just noticed (sparked by the slightly fuzzy notion that Lizzie and DGR were a bit like Ted and Sylvia) that Sylvia died exactly 101 years after Lizzie on February 11th 1963. Slap me someone!

On to The Tent, The Bucket and Me. I feel a sonnet coming on.

No comments: