Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Night on the Tiles


This is a nice bit of Escher-style tiling on the outside of the Echo Arena. Notice how each rectangular pane has the same design and yet the tiling still works. It's the first time I've noticed windows like these but I suspect that they're quite common. My eye for this sort of thing is a bit better than it was because of the Marcus du Sautoy book on symmetry.

Having said that, my real eyes are beginning to show signs of age, in that I'm having to hold books further away to be able to read them which means of course that it can't be long before optical accessories are required with all the attached grownupness* that they bring. I can remember being able to focus on the end of my little finger while thumbing my nose at someone but now I'm just about two hand lengths. I always used to wonder what it would be like to not be able to see properly and no explanation I was given ever conveyed anything I could get a handle on. Despite this obvious deterioration, I'm not seeing the world any differently - the colour and definition of everything is just the same - but the noticeable change in the focus is disturbing - a first sign of being aged and decrepit. I'm so frustrated I could just about hit someone with my walking stick.

And finally a beautiful song for Harry Patch from Radiohead.

* Spellchecks to grumpiness.

No comments: