Monday, October 06, 2008

Oh For Art's Sake

Just finished the last of the BBC4 art programmes that have filled up the PVR over the last week. I bought the book Ways of Seeing years ago though most of it was (and probably still is) over my head. However, the TV programme on which it is based was easier to take, being in four half-hour slots. There were quite a few truisms but they may just be the result of the ideas becoming accepted over time between then and now. It was also easy to see the right-on Marxism and iconoclasm. Still a respected series today. I can't really be bothered to say much else about the other programs - they were interesting - but I do have to mention the bit where Brian Sewell called Sister Wendy a clown - not to her face; I wonder who got to the face paint first.

It will be interesting to see the results of this mass Turing Test. I didn't have much difficulty in working out which of the two sample conversations at the bottom of this article was the computer though I have to say it was far better than some IM conversations I have which purport to be from real people. For sometime I have been trying to get together enough expertise to write an agent to respond to IM and I wondered this morning what knowledge would be the result of priming two such agents against each other. Obviously there would need to be some real-world input to keep the two things going - but what intelligence would result from two machines talking at each other? Try one of the machines for yourself. At least I think it was a machine - it told me it was convinced I was a machine but it typed its answers too fast to not be a machine. Asked "Who was Sylvia Plath?" I got back "Sylvia is a well-known member of feministically-oriented chatterbots organization 'The NonShutUpAble'" which is rather clever if a little insulting.

No comments: