Friday, October 03, 2008

Moon Cable


The All-Planets Formation Dancing Team

This is obviously the result of a collaboration between The UN and the Liberal Democrats, an organisation destined to rule for a thousand years or until next Thursday, whichever comes soonest. And of course to lose two Blairs within 18 months looks a lot like carelessness. Never mind - the sun is shining, until tomorrow at least and the good Senators/Congressmen/Whitehouse Cats are looking after every one's best interests.

I have an omission from the reading log which I need to confess; I didn't even get beyond the fourth page of The War Against Cliche before it was jettisoned. I may have another go but the first chapter seemed so arch and self-conscious that I was wondering if it was actually an example of the stuff that Mr Amis was intending to criticise. One part of it was so glaringly naff that the book was instantly launched into the untidy bedside pile. This reminds me of the long telephone conversations I couldn't help hearing this week. They were examples of how to conduct a discussion using stock phrases without them containing any original thoughts - I'm wondering now if it might be possible to record a number of the usual suspect phrases to play back in lieu of actual attendance. The reviews of TWAC suggest I should try again. I cannot get on with just dipping into a book - it has to be read in order, from start to finish, though as you know jettisoning it allowed. However, I may skip chapter one of this.

No comments: