Thursday, August 07, 2008

On Watching the World go by

I am first into this office on most mornings and because of low sun behind me I lower four of the blinds so that the light does not fall on my (3) screens. This morning, the position of the sun and the small gap between two of the blinds meant that a thin sliver of light fell on my left-most screen and gradually worked its way rightwards until it faded out. The strange thing was that the movement of this beam was clearly visible, the rotation of The Earth projected visibly in front of me. I suddenly became aware of the huge mass of the planet beneath me spinning at high speed and it made me dizzy.

A related feeling is lying in bed imagining the whole of the planet beneath me , through the bed, through the floor of the bedroom, through the room below into the crust-mantle-core-mantle-crust and up into what must be water on the other side. What is the exact nature of the antipodean sea-bed? ... I've just been off to Google Earth to see where this place is and it is indeed sea but I have discovered that there is actually a place called The Antipodes Islands which is the nearest land to my surfacing point as far as I can see. They were originally called the Penantipodes but this has been shortened. Close enough for me. Anyway, lie back and think the world spinning.

While we are on big concepts being made visible in down-to-earth ways, what about the super-helix of the phone chord twisting on itself as you use the phone throughout the day? This is a visible demonstration of the structure of DNA. So just sitting at this desk has shown me to contrasting, scientific concepts, one telescopic and one microscopic.

The final paragraph in my notebook is as follows :-
The sound of rain does not give the full experience - the temperature, the wind,
the negative ions and the plain dampness of the stuff - General Wittering.
Which is obviously a sign that I should finish for the day.

No comments: