Thursday, August 14, 2008

It's Grim up the LSE!

I retreat from my ranting about the soullessness of this city to defend it against the chinless prat wot wrote this report about abandoning Northern conurbations - I may be paraphrasing - deal with it! The report starts off by stating that increasing the size of London so that it takes an extra minute to reach the edge would make room for a million more people. I am reminded of the wonderful success that Lord Abercrombie had with such plans (Thank you to Andrew Marr for pointing it out). You might accuse me of not reading the report in full and you would be right - I don't need to - David Cameron has read it for me - I think. What I am here to do is link to these articles in defence of The North. Intro by that nice but apparently outraged Stuart Maconie.

The issues which Policy Exchange (who they? ed.) raise, apply to ALL cities these days - I wonder how much time the authors have actually spent up here. Is this a case of Everything I Know I Learned from TV? Not sure that the CV makes me feel any differently. I'm not sure of the value of information regarding the height of seamen in days gone by is that important unless you have a research budget to justify.

Currently reading A Devil's Chaplain by Prof. Dawkins. I'm not at the chapter yet but I am looking forward to this which of course points to this - a spoof of the highest order and an almost perfect cure for insomnia. Now I like a bit of Postmodernism - I couldn't tell you what it means but I know what it is - I think - maybe - well maybe not. Alright then - it's rubbish.

Well I must go - the whippets need feeding and it's Giro day.

No comments: