Tuesday, August 05, 2008

My Mr Turing - How Proprioceptive Of You!

Two minutes ago I had a wonderful idea for something to write and now it's gone. Aha! It was actually something related to a complete lack of short-term memory as suffered by the poor man in The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat. But not that. This book has the attention-grabbing title of a Channel 5 documentary - I Am Turning Into a Pork Pie or I Married a Newt. but is in fact a rich investigation into the more interesting issues around various neurological conditions. All this does not help me with my beautiful idea for a post and so you will have to put up with the normal rubbish. I think is was something to do with not being able to sense where parts of you were in relation to other parts. Personally I'm currently all over the place.

Daughter wants to see David Tennant in Hamlet, thinking that all Shakespeare is as accessible as her kids' version of A Midsummer Night's Dream. It is true that I would like to see it myself but then again I would also like to see Tate Modern .. and Cragside and Bletchley Park ... again. Butterfly minds runs in our family I think. I never finish anyth...

Lunchtime seems to speeding away from me with the promise of yet another day finishing before it even starts which has made me think of this book about why our perception of time seems to vary. I always used to notice that Mondays and Tuesdays seemed to fly by after the weekend but this seems to have stopped and now most working days flow at the same rate. However, the two short days of the weekend seem to occupy almost as much time as the five days of the working week. This is something where observing interferes with actuality - which I apparently have to call The Observer Effect rather than The Uncertainty Principle. I think I knew that already. I try to think of the relative psychological appearance of the weekend compared with the working week and though clear in my mind when I don't think about it, it retreats into a place where any attempt to quantify it results in meaningless diversion onto some other topic. This ease with which I am diverted from things makes me amazed that I can ever manage to finish some of the more complex pieces of work that I have to do. I've just realised that thinking about something which involves thought is difficult to define in relation to the observer effect despite being the epitome of it. It goes in my box of fault lines in the universe, the collection of things that go against the generally-defined nature of existence. (This is closely related to my collection of peculiar and coincidental phrases like Three-piece Suit and Three-piece Suite.) Philosophy should be about thinking about thinking in ways that anyone can understand. Fault lines in the mind. They prove the reality of existence. Or maybe they just prove that the universe is badly coded.

No comments: