Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Etruscan Spears 101



For the purposes of maintaining tension, today's post may or may not contain elements of Marxist Theory and/or fluffy kittens.

Very fine Bonekickers last week - though it was actually dangerously plausible which is not what we want at all. It was raised above the normal "Tosh - Level 1" by some fine quotes from a WWI soldier and some nicely tense flashbacks to the trenches. Of course by the end it had all returned to something close to "The Chuckle Brothers do Archaeology" which is I am sure all that anyone watches it for; I know I do. Last episode on PVR.

Well all is right with world - the rains have stopped and Stereolab have a new album out next week. I'm not sure they will ever get back to being as good as in the era of Jenny Ondioline or French Disko but it sounds alright. I don't actually have JO here with me but Peng! is a suitable alternative. They always make me think of simplicity despite the strange time signatures and the random use of language. They are like Ladytron in that the basic idea of a track is established in the introduction and stuck to until the end. Even with the long version of Jenny Ondioline which seemed to have about 4 sections with changes like those between the sections of Music for Eighteen Musicians, the "feel" of each section is similar to the previous one. OK - so I like repetition - get over it. I have always maintained that there is far more variation in three minutes of a Steve Reich track than there is in the majority of airhead pop tunes. Play Jenny Ondioline very loud and you will know what I mean.

No comments: