Friday, March 15, 2002

Descartes' daughter or the Electronic Prayer Wheel.

Namaste

I am not limited to mechanics to build artificial life. I can simulate anything on this machine, all possible worlds, all possible programs, all nine billion names of God and more. Try a neural net to recognise your handwriting from scans - it can be done on this PC. A Fractal form more complex than the entire universe - its here. This port is a window to everything there is. Isn't that frightening and exciting? Descartes supposedly built a clockwork child which so scared the sailors on a ship he was travelling on, that the Captain had it thrown overboard because he thought it was the cause of the bad weather they were experiencing. The child was called Francine after his own daughter who had died when she was five. I must state that it is not clear if this story is true or just a tale that gets trotted out whenever someone talks about Automata. I have access to power far beyond what Descartes could imagine and I don't use it. I should. We all should. I am setting myself a task. A neural net to do something - anything.

I have not done any trigonometry for years and all I did I have forgotten. Did you know that sin 0.5 x 360 = Pi approximately? I was trying to do what Archimedes did to estimate Pi using Hexagons and Dodecagons etc. However I got side tracked into using Trig instead of estimating and that is what I worked out. Boring for all of those of you who know it already. Anyway off to the Pythagoras way of doing it. Ho hum.


No comments: