Thursday, August 05, 2010

It Died!


My rewards this week for being at work while the rest of the family gallivants around the country have been many, including the above Dalek Ironside and a 100g of Army and Navy sweets which have now vanished mysteriously - probably eaten by the Dalek I think. There are many geeky reviews of this figure out in Youtubeland so I'd better not add much to them just in case I give you the impression that I am 13 or something. Instead I just need to say that the general appearance of all Daleks is one of "rightness". The Dalek Ironside is a return to the utilitarian style of some of the early Daleks - like something cobbled together from the battered metal junction box casings in the basement of the BBC. Making it Olive Drab just adds to that feel of a combination of dusty Civil-Service corridors and various obscure military establishments. Much as I was enthralled by the return of the single Dalek in the first series of the revival, the finish of that particular machine was a bit too shiny - showing the plastic of which it was made. The green paint of the Ironside covers up all that and returns us to the rough and ready feel of the originals.

And that is maybe where it should have stopped for now we have the sudden regeneration into the Duplo Daleks. While I am not that bothered, the primary coloured replacements do not seem to be quite in the right proportion. They have various lumps and changes in contour that make them a bit brutish. I know that seems silly, but the Daleks as they were in the past, were the evil geeks of the Doctor Who World, an enemy with no need of overpowering bulk because their whole attitude, voice and movements were threatening, the epitome of the scary short dictator - the Napoleons of the Galaxy.

This is just a poster but I would be quite pleased if someone decided to write the whole thing. I'd certainly buy it.


No comments: