Friday, September 14, 2007


Catching Stars.

Listening to 10 by
Kate Rusby

I was back with Godel, Escher, Bach last night. This has been neglected for sometime while we plough through various DVDs one of which is the Box Set of
Peep Show. However, as a result of watching the latter I can now only hear Mitchell and Webb as Achilles and the Tortoise. I just can’t get away from the required irony that the dialogues have. It didn’t help that last night’s discussion needed absolute concentration. I kept expecting the Tortoise to say “Isn’t that right Supper Hans?” The question now is which is Mitchell and Which is Webb. From appearances Mitchell would be The Tortoise and Webb does have the touch of Greek Hero about him.

I don’t often talk about work stuff but I have to mention something that got me spooked yesterday. I am trying to do some ftp stuff in .net and prior to discovering that my ftp client dll already had a nicely structured put and get I was trying some low-level stuff involving byte arrays about which I have come to the conclusion that they are the .net equivalent of the badly-behaved trucks in the Thomas the Tank Engine stories. Despite clearing the array after it’s definition, it would display the bytes I had previously loaded into it. I shut down the environment and whenever I came back the newly defined buffer had the same bytes in it. I suppose I might be showing my lack of knowledge of the low level behaviour of bytes and bits but I am a simple soul and if there is a high-level way of doing something I will do it. It was a bit like
And the Cat Came Back.

No comments: