Tuesday, June 12, 2007


Prime Number Venn Diagrams

Listening to Victorialand by Cocteau Twins

Well I did manage to read some Auden poems though the only ones I have are in Anthologies – We have all of Plath, Hughes, Yeats and Larkin but very little Auden which is strange because from my dips into the work at the weekend, he seems both down-to-earth in style and yet other-worldly in meaning. Will try more!

It has been a very dark and cloudy day until the last few minutes. I love these late-summer-term days when it threatens thunder. One of the best days of my life was when the school took the whole of our year to an industrial museum in Birmingham on just such a day. As a bonus which I don’t think we were expecting we also got a tour of various canals, most of which were septic in the extreme but that didn’t matter. I think we managed to point out at least one dead dog along the way. I’m not sure it actually rained but inside the museum it was extremely dark in that stormy way. I even remember having a camera though the only picture I actually recall taking was of one of the sixth-form girls pretending to hold up the spire above the front of the school after we had returned and were waiting for our normal buses home; it’s not very convincing but I think I found it only the other day.

It was too hot for the children to have their normal time in the park on the way home from school yesterday so we went to the beach instead which was very pleasant – just enough breeze to keep the temperature this side of bearable. Seems to be a
habit recently which always makes me realise how lucky we are to live this close to the sea. I grew up almost as far as it is possible to be from the sea and still be in Great Britain which does mean that I know the right people should it all go pear-shaped re Global Warming. Well upshot of this sojourn to the Earth/Ocean interface was a bath full of sand and a bag of strange bits and pieces liberated by my daughter. Personally I still keep an eye out for the message in a bottle I threw overboard from the Liverpool/Dublin Ferry in 1988. Problem is the address for return was for the site I worked at then which was so big we never saw it closing and now it is home to a cat and a few internet firms. I don’t see the cat bothering to send on the post and as for the internet firms ... I did see that nice Alex Cox on site once visiting some new-media company so maybe he will find it and pass it on. I can smell a Vesta curry in here now.


And now a plug for
Orson Scott Card.

No comments: