Thursday, June 14, 2007


Afternoon Toppo! How Terrific are The Weasels?

Listening to Selected Ambient Works 85-92 by Aphex Twin

I was nearly allowed my Fathers’ Day present yesterday but I have asked for it to be hidden until the day itself to make for the traditional lie-in/Breakfast/Card/Present sequence. However, I do know
what it is.

My obsession with rain has been fed muchly over the last few days and allowed me to sit in the porch just out of reach of the showers and to get to sleep listening to the white noise of heavy rain for a couple of nights. I’m thinking of getting a CD of rain if there is such a thing as help for my insomnia though maybe some fast speech would be better at keeping my mind from thinking too much about things which worry me. Distraction is what I need. I like thunder as well by the way – it always seems familiarly calming rather than containing any threat of danger.

I want to right that I am feeling a bit ‘undefined’ at the moment but I’m not sure I can expand on what that means. I have been reading nineteen-eighty-four half-heartedly for the last few days as recent changes in my own perception of the world seem to have rendered Mr Orwell’s views on the world as a bit blunt but then every so often the complexity re-asserts itself and I see the point. The idea that the removal of undesired aspects of language could in itself remove the possibility for thoughtcrime is a breathtaking one and yet I keep feeling that humans must be able to think things without having to have language to back it up. I suppose it all links in with the development of language and how meaning is attached to words. “Nice” for example has changed its meaning through an evolution undefined by us which leads me to think that meaning is deeper than the words behind it. Do you dream in dialogue or images? How much of your day is actually defined by words?

Anyway nineteen-eighty-four has been jettisoned in favour of
Polly – The True Story Behind Whisky Galore which was ordered from the library on Tuesday and collected yesterday – who needs Amazon? Well I do actually I suppose. Don’t believe the first review – it is wrong.

No comments: