Friday, December 13, 2002


Capacidad

Black mood at the moment. Various things seem to be conspiring to make life as difficult as possible but as I have said before, I am a lot better off than 99% of the world's population and I mean not only in monetary terms. I keep returning to very bad poetry at the moment. A few weeks ago, I wrote about my old 'Metrical Journals', and I have tried to start getting back into writing them. Yesterday's poem was the first and was just random thoughts over lunchtime, a bit like my Random Fridays but in verse. I have managed to dg out a cartrdge pen so that I can write long hand rather than the short scratchings on the Palm. My Brother sad yesterday that he's fed up wth ths country and wants to emigrate to New-Zealand. I don't think he is serious and I am sure that 'The Lord of the Rings' has not been his influence. Many things mean I cannot contemplate this at the moment. I did think about Canada some time ago for no other reason than seeing Linda Kitson's journey across that country by train. This was part of the Great Railway Journeys (Why is that not Journies?) series on the ever wonderful BBC. I love travelling by train though I don't often use them. Usually it is only on holiday that I manage to get on board a touristy type train. The main rail system in this country is falling apart; only this week the Government has given money to help ailing rail company, Connex which has been the greatest joke in the privatised rail system for ages. A good non-crowded train journey is always exciting. I used to love travelling home from here to Malvern on Christmas Eve but now I imagine it is hell. Give me the Ffestiniog railway over that any time. The railway has one terminus at Porthmadog, and the trains leave across a long pier (see it here in a storm). We used to walk across it when we weren't actually travelling on the trains and would have to go down the bank when the trains went by. We have been promising to take my daughter on the train sometime but I think it will have to wait for some better weather, though it would be quiet at this time of year. Come to think of it, there is no need to emigrate. Things are quite good here.

No comments: