Thursday, May 09, 2002

Nietzsche Schmeitzsche

Nietzsche does seem to have far too many letters just to specify that particular sound - surely "Neetsha" would be much better.

The reason for references to the aforesaid German Philosopher is this blog which is a blog of note and links FWN, Stephen Fry and Harry Potter (though only obliquely) on the front page. I am not sure "Small Pieces Loosely Joined" is actually the book for me but the style of the references to it have some power. All the references to various philosophers seem to add up to pretension but then again what is the difference between an intellectual and one of Private Eye's Pseudo Intellectuals? I particularly like this month's :-

Wales and Wessex services to Looe are delayed owing to a bovine incursion on the Branch line.
BBC Ceefax transport update

There are of course two levels of Pseud's corner. Those who write and those who are written about. There! Is that pompous enough to get a mention. I do remember one entry in PC which I think commented that something was bad enough to get a mention on Pseud's Corner in a way that made itself a candidate. I love self-reference and for an interesting perspective on that very subject, click here.

It is very quiet here again and all those strange office sounds which I mentioned a few entries ago have returned suddenly to my head. Somewhere there is a disk drive which is unstable and making a wobbly sound like a faint beep which fades up and down. There is an undefined hiss like air escaping but right now that is it. All the other sounds have faded right away. In ten minutes the office will be full - well as full as it can be after our recent decimation (Technically only the removal of 10% of a number). I think that I can hear a wolf howling in the far distance but that is unlikely to be the real source. I think I have a photograph of this office from some years ago which I will scan in at some point so you can get a picture with this sound.

Office Worker's Relaxing Task for today. If you have a right angled desk with screens behind it, then curl up underneath it during your break. It is wonderfully relaxing and if you get any funny comments from your colleagues, then tell them to do the same. Claustrophilia is the word for it. This word is not in MW but it is out there on the web and there is even a play with that name.




No comments: