Thursday, August 01, 2013

Not With a Whimper but a Bang!


To the cinema with daughter now able to accompany me to films rated 15 to see The World's End. Between us we have seen the first two films in the Cornetto Trilogy - me Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz for eldest. I knew there was no logical or character connection between the films but I was worried that I might miss some subtle arc and of course without viewing the missing film I cannot be sure. However, The World's End stands on its own beautifully without the need for props from anything that has gone before.

What strikes me now within an hour of it finishing is that it was both packed to the blue-stained rafters with action and yet was satisfyingly wordy and full of ideas and crafted exchanges. It's almost like two separate films have been played at the same time and instead of a mess of confusing sounds and images has produced something integrating and transcending both.

Don't let this put you off though. The whole thing proceeds with drive that manages to survive the sudden revelation of Newton Haven's great secret. And for a film with multiple decapitations, dismemberments and other gory diswhatsits, it is surprisingly bloodless though I'm sure this won't put off any gore fiends amongst you.

No comments: