Friday, June 09, 2006

Janet Street Porter is a Rabbit

I am deep in ‘the plan’ that forms the centre of Foucault’s Pendulum. Lots of the detail of secret organisations seeming to be seeded in The Templars, those guys with the traditional Crusader outfit – white tunic, red cross etc – is just noise. I don’t think I have the intellectual rigour to sort out all the mess but then again that may be the point of the whole thing. The book started with one of the protagonists in mortal peril and the narrator stuck in a strange place waiting for something momentous to occur. The heart of the book is the gradual development of connections between the standard mess of mystical writing that forms the basis of most Glastonbury book shops, stuff by the diabolicals as they are called in this book. And it is a mess, a complex web of meetings and messages and missed meetings and a gradual development of mistrust between the supposedly fragmented remains of the Templars and their sister organisations. The theme of The *cough* da Vinci Code are only a tiny part of this brick but even without having read DVC or seen the film, the build up to a denouement in some Paris building seems to be in both FP and Dan Brown’s book. I ask which came first. I will get there.

Anyway, what about morons? Well in Foucault’s Pendulum, one of the characters describes the fact that we generally behave with elements of four ‘types’ one of which is the Moron, characterised by getting their reasoning wrong and although I can see this behaviour in myself, but it is funny how many times you can spot it in the media these days. Watch out for the sidekick.

I also like the bit about Creationist Science going under the Department of Oxymoronics. By the way, I have just looked at the links from the page about morons etc and I think you should really avoid clicking any of them.

No comments: