Friday, May 15, 2009

Savage Saville


I'm not sure how I feel about this cover being censored by various supermarkets. I suspect that like the vitriol aimed at one of the CBeebies presenters who is in possession of fewer than the average number of arms, it will probably affect more parents than children. It might not even be blood on the child's face after all - maybe it's impressionistic. While I can't say it's beautiful, it is strangely hypnotic which goes well with the strange lyrics from the album that I heard when The Manics were on Later. It is brave of the remaining crew to use Richey's lyrics when they have no possibility of going to him for clarification but it does have a situationist charm. I am sure that Sylvia Plath had some influence on it, though nothing of hers was ever as unstructured.

The Poet's Guide To Britain about her poem Wuthering Heights was suitably atmospheric though I do wonder how long the crew had to wait around to get the wind and the rain exactly right for the backing shots to the readings. I suspect that Owen Sheers being the talent was allowed to saunter back to Heptonstall to nurse a pint in the shelter of the pub while the poor, bloody infantry of the BBC (or whatever independent production company made the programme) hung around the moor tops waiting for a particularly attractive huddling of the sheep. All those years I lived in proximity to many woolly ones and I never noticed that sheep's eyes have horizontal slots for pupils. It takes a proper poet to notice stuff like that.

No comments: