Friday, November 25, 2005

I Cried All The Way To The Chip Shop

I finally finished Girl With A Pearl Earring last night, one of those I-must-stay-up-to-see-what-happens books. It has a perfect ending, in complete agreement with the characters. I won’t spoil it for you. You will love it.

Talking of spoilers, I am afraid that I knew I would not get to see Flightplan so I have just looked up the ending in case it was like Sixth Sense. No clues for you though I have to say that I might actually have enjoyed it. The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe is the next film to actually go and see. It would have been HP4 but my daughter won’t go because of the dragons.

The Shuffle has just thrown up the first track on Reich Remixed which is a Coldcut Remix of Music for 18 Muscians, though it actually has parts of It’s Gonna Rain, Six Marimbas, Prayer, Electric Counterpoint and probably almost everything else by SR. As the main beauty of Reich’s music is the pure melody, this much hook and tune is almost impossible to resist. I suppose most people who know the composer would think of him as a difficult listen. I actually feel guilty about the geek factor because most of it is actually a simple listen – it’s not Cage or Stockhausen or any of the atonal stuff – it’s the hooks from every catchy pop-tune, melody and rhythm or high order. A friend of mine once said he bluffed his way in an interview by mention Drumming which I had just bought; it gave him a cleverness factor just mentioning it. I am not sure my wife would agree about the tunes though. This reminds me that I have not seen either copy of Drumming for some time. I have been minded to get the latest recording which sounds as if it is better than the two I already have. Be warned that it goes on for ages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can confirm that "The Grapes" (on the corner of Sylvester St & Scotland Road) and the "Foot Hospital" were one and the same. I lived there.