Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Confronting the Intricacies of Large Scale Orchestration

I am turning into my father. Almost all chart music these days is just tat. There is no hook to anything, which makes me fear that youngsters are being de-educated regarding music; they do not see that things can be so much better. Why do they like the lack of melody? It seems as if all music these days is just rhythm and while I can appreciate a really heavy (should I say phat?) beat, even the power of that has gone. Bass lines are monotone and there is no variation in the drums - I say this listening to Music for 18 Musicians, which has more variation in three minutes than any pop song of the same duration. My daughter listens to classical music almost to the exclusion of everything else these days - she will hog the radio when we are in the car and has classical collections on when she goes to sleep. There is some hope I suppose but I dread the day when she starts listening to whatever is the equivalent of Britney Spears. There have to be new classical musicians created don't there so maybe she is one of them.

You are complaining at me for linking Music for 18 Musicians with other classical music but I know that I am right to do so. I think I may just have had a visit from someone at Ushaw College. Hello there if you are returning. Maybe I mentioned the word God too many times last week. Sorry if you were expecting some religious discussion. My test on the Internet decided that I was most likely to be a Secular Humanist and then possibly a Quaker. I am not a Quaker but I play one on TV.




No comments: