Friday, July 13, 2012

I Was the First Person to be Rickrolled


In the heady days of the first year of my first job I was beginning to start the record collection I'd always been promising myself. The extent of my music collection up to then was basically Mike Oldfield and an unnatural obsession with Virginia Astley. Somewhere in the occasional single-paragraphs that Ms. Astley warranted in such publications as the HMV instore magazine, I gleaned the fact that she had a brother who was a producer and singer-songwriter of gently left-leaning tendencies. So when I saw the 12 Inch of Never Gonna Give You Up, I snapped it up and was mortified to hear the then-ubiquitous sound of Stock, Aitken and Pete "Hornby" Waterman. The person I was really after was - JON Astley the one-time Brother-in-law of Pete Townshend - and indeed slightly odd recording Artiste. And just so you don't suspect me of RRing myself, here's a strange video embedded.



The reason for setting down this memory is the fact that I actually Rickrolled someone myself today. One of our number is leaving the company and going to work in Newton-Le-Willows - the home town of our Rick himself and I conveyed the ostensible link to the relevant company via IM to a colleague who was mortified to have been caught. I did buy Roadblock but I really did know that was SAW.

No comments: