Friday, September 23, 2011

Sixteen Million Litres of Dry-Cleaning Fluid Can't be Wrong

Some Neutrinos Yesterday
Well that was a surprise wasn't it? Really - faster than light hey. Not convinced myself but then again from the tone of the scientists reporting, neither are they. I was amused by the response of Subir Sarkar, head of particle theory at Oxford University who said "Cause cannot come after effect and that is absolutely fundamental to our construction of the physical universe. If we do not have causality, we are buggered. As a card-carrying cynic I might put forward the theory that some concrete-carting contractor who built the tunnel has signed off some measurement wrongly but as theare probably made relative to each other rather than to the track on which they travel I think we can dismiss my ill-informed ramblings on the subject.I actually thought that seeing neutrinos was something rather difficult and now I discover that you can measure how long they take to travel somewhere. I should really pay attention to modern physics.

No comments: