Friday, June 06, 2008


There Ain't No Medication



It has been a long time since I played a recently-purchased record over and over again. I would suspect that the last time it happened I actually wore out a needle or two. Replica Sun Machine by The Shortwave Set has me back to those heady days and the song Sun Machine itself has been re-started many, many times. Not sure why but cool it is and cool it remains despite straying close to earworm territory.

Other culture this week is my first Morse book which has revealed that not all the breadth of character that Colin Dexter gave to Morse has made it into the TV version though maybe John Thaw was given the part because the Morse of the books has many character traits in common with DI Regan. The book in question is a battered library copy of Last Seen Wearing which is the second in the series and maybe indicates that stride was still not quite gotten into. I'm still guessing despite nearly all the plot having been revealed which is always a good sign in a detective novel. I was also much taken with Alan Yentob interviewing the notoriously prickly Doris Lessing on the Imagine programme. Prickly she was but not unpleasantly so. On to Doctor Who.

No comments: