Friday, June 27, 2008


Instruments in a White, Dusty, Plastered Room



Too many ideas to choose any single one for detailing but maybe I should make the effort. Trouble is nothing ever comes of anything - I get home and just want to flop, though at least reading the Eno book makes me feel like I am actually doing something improving. Maybe get some phasing done though as with my version of Piano Phase the single millisecond difference between the two tracks seems far too big to give a meaningful progression. However this has made me wonder if the tiny delay that the few instructions between the start of each phases would be enough - like the computer equivalent of the tiny construction differences in the speeds of the motors on the original Steve Reich phase tapes which started the whole process off. There is also the possibility that the event triggered by the completion of one cycle of the loop could be made to fire slightly differently by making one copy of the phrase just a few microseconds longer. I'm not really clear on the physical manifestation of the various behaviours of the actual instructions in the CPUs. This analogous behaviour between the real physical properties of a reel-to-reel tape player and the actual time taken by a computer program to handle tiny events is fun.

As I said before I just need to find a phrase that makes interesting patterns when played against itself. This has made me wonder if I can amend the application to allow me to vary the portion of a loaded media file on the fly. This I suppose brings the selection of the phrase within the creative process - it becomes an instrument of some sort. I suppose that this sort of variation is already part of certain music programs.

No comments: