Thursday, May 10, 2007



No – Not The Full Thousand Days!



A feel a dangerous need to talk about the weather which I must resist so I will talk about dolls’ houses instead. My daughters Christmas present was a dolls’ house from a kit which I painted and just about got the outside finished in time for the day itself. Since then she has been ploughing her pocket money into buying wallpaper and furniture. The decoration is of course left to me and papering the back wall of the rooms is a fiddly process. Now my wife has borrowed a book about constructing dolls’ houses from scratch which borders on the obsessive in its attention to making things look real. The roofs are tiled with individual pieces of thin cardboard and hardwood floors are made up from bits of material cut to the size of individual planks. I am afraid that the tiles on my daughter’s house are a roll of printed paper stuck on with spray glue. I gave up skimming through the book when I got to the chapter on how to lay the lighting tracks under the floors or inside the chimney (so that the fire glows).

So much to do – so much rain.

No comments: