Thursday, May 11, 2006

Nightmare List of Applications



When you find this list of applications you begin to wonder if you are in the wrong job. I hate Excel when it is used as a database just because it is there. We should disable VBA whenever we deliver it.

I am prompted to write in rant mode about the terrible behaviour of the people who write to GSK share-holders regarding that company's use of Huntington Life Science. However, I have been moved to comment on the criticism of the BBC for the use of the word 'activists' rather than 'terrorists'. While I am quite disappointed that there seems to be nothing in existing law that can be done regarding this action - the company had to resort to an injunction - I am annoyed that someone uses this situation to have a go at the BBC for their seemingly measured use of a word. Just because you think everyone who does something that you do not agree with is a terrorist, does not mean that the media should. Possibly the intention for something which might tip over into militantcy is there. I am not going to bother to find the Daily Mail's stance on this but I'm sure that not even that fine paper would be using the 'T' word about these people yet - well maybe in the leader. Maybe we can label anyone who does anything remotely vociferous or threatening, a terrorist. Semantics is a wonderful thing to argue about but when it gets in the way of a debate as this surely does, it seems like an "angels/pin" discussion. And I am annoyed that has got me writing a whole paragraph about it. We are educated enough to make up our own minds on this issue.

I was going to say "complex issue" but this depends on your views on the subject. My view may be made clearer at a later date but for now, be aware that the 'activists' in my opinion should be expecting a very large book to be coming their way - ballistically (and metaphorically of course).

No comments: