Friday, December 17, 2004

Loud, Louder and Loudest

Listening to {fill in your own guess here}

emails to rdeweyden@hotmail.com

Defining Cliché.

I cannot be bothered to put the accent on. Oh well, yes I can. I know is mucks up the text but it should be there. Cliché should only be so if it is already within experience. But then when does Cliché become familiarity of vice-versa? And when does this stop sounding like pretentious rubbish, designed to fill up a slack Friday?

I have been listening to In C a lot recently with a view to using some of the festive free time to implement my programmed version. I can't have listened to it properly because it is only now that I know that the length of each segment is irrelevant to when the start of each drops into the whole thing. Each bit is designed to just fit in anyway wherever it starts. This makes the job of programming it so much easier. The instructions are here if you want to try it for yourself. I don't sight-read music though I have just been able to follow the score quite easily. It seems simpler to follow a piece fragmented this way than to stay up with a conventional melody. I would like to do Six Pianos as well but the score costs real money. I have the first bar in a book on minimalism and although changing the volume of each track creates a huge amount of variation, it seems not quite proper. Do you have the feeling you have read this all before?

No comments: