Friday, July 30, 2004

Maybe I Still Would

Just 70, Joan Bakewell's column in the Guardian is the best thing in it. The problem I have is that this makes me think that I am getting close to 70 as well. For all the years we saw her as an arty feminist, she has turned out to be an eminently sensible though still left-leaning defender of truth and decency. The last paragraph of this week's offering which referred to us all enjoying a decent single play on the TV, brought back fleeting images of the sixties as clearly as any strange and evocative smell of varnish on herringbone-pattern wood-block in school at the time. She is exactly right on the issue of drama on TV.

Having said this, maybe I should have watched The Long Firm, which from the review I read, was not what I was expecting. Not sure I would have liked watching execution by hot poker though which seems to suggest the level of nastiness which came in the second episode of the first series of Spooks (The Deep Fat Fryer). I gave up on Spooks after episode one though I caught various scenes in later shows one of which showed how easy it is for a hacker to make all the lights in MI5 headquarters go off. Ending sentences with prepositions again. Sorry! It has been a bad week.

No comments: