Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Dexter is so Sinister

I said I would not get a book at our next trip to library but while looking for more Martin Amis I found The White Stuff, the new novel by Simon Armitage. This has only just been published so the library service is definitely on the ball here. All of his books have an element of magic realism and still manages to feel constructed, always a way of making one read on. There is something about The White Stuff I can't quite define though it may be a sense of familiarity with the characters maybe because I am the same age as both the author and the guy in the book.

I can't build up any enthusiasm for anything much today. All the talk of terrorism and troubles puts me in the "Why bother?" mood. Some of my colleagues talk about the political implications of various reactions to terrorist acts but I think that the perpetrators simply want to see dead bodies and twisted metal. They have no political aim in the long term other than a perverse sort of revenge for some ill-undefined misdeed done to them in the past. Some people say that they want to replace our political system with their own but they must know that that is not going to happen until the whole of the western world is laid waste ... and then why bother? I can't even get it together enough to start undoing mistakes in yesterday's entry. I have a cold again - they seem to come around every three weeks at the moment. To top it all, I thought it was Thursday today ... so happy St. Patrick's Day - anyone seen that snake?

No comments: