Thursday, March 04, 2004

Anyone Remember Murun Buchstansangur?

Listening to - Electric Guitar Phase - Steve Reich

This needs to be very loud to get the full ludicrously repeated phrase into your head. Every scratch and squall of every string is audible on both tracks and whereas each track would be simple and boring after just a few cycles, the two together slightly out of phase and tempo creates a beautiful mess of gut-shaking rock/system music. Brilliant. It just ended this second; stopped on a dime. I am trying to resist doing a random Thursday. Last Fridays random entry was quite interesting though I got the feeling I was trying to write a single paragraph poem a bit like these ones from Carrie Etter.

We are reading The Magician's Nephew, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia to my daughter at the moment while I am still reading Money by Martin Amis. I must be in Martin Amis mode because the short sentences of the CS Lewis book are causing me to stumble simply because the sentences in Money are so damn long; they would surely come up in Word as "Long Sentence (No Suggestions)". The Carrie Etter poems have made me think even more, that Amis writes Novel length poems when before I always thought of him as a hip gangland style of author who happened to do one book about the Holocaust. (No problem with the capitalisation there.) The biography often quoted poems both because of his friendship with Philip Larkin and the fact that his father wrote them, which I never even suspected.

As I mentioned, I have the Andrew Motion biography of Larkin that is clamouring for attention on the bedside table. I have to not get any books at the next library trip or I will never finish anything. Meanwhile, go and read The Whitsun Weddings. It does so much of what I have tried to do with my poems over the years and does it without trying.

No comments: