Monday, September 12, 2011

On Not Cancelling My Subscription ...


... because to my shame, I don't actually have one. I'm not sure there is much that Hislop, Wheen et al could actually do that would make me want to cancel a subscription anyway. Private Eye is the definition of free-speech and has managed to be outrageous in a way that offends many people (me included) and yet still makes you think in the background of such ear-steaming, that they might have a point. I don't think I've ever missed an issue since I started buying it some time in the mid-eighties. And the physical thing itself is an excellent fly-swatter.

I'm still kicking myself for not sending in my own look-alike from the cover of some celebratory issue of the esteemed organ which had one of those ensemble cartoons with various characters from public life including The Duke of Edinburgh with a gull on his shoulder, which reminded me of this :


Ennu by Walter Sickert
Whether that is actually a gull on Queen Victoria's shoulder is debatable but who cares it makes for a great bit of scandal. Pity I can't find the PE cover.

No comments: