Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Literally - not Figuratively

"Pick up the Phone - Pick up the Phone"

We've been very taken by The Hour and have dismissed all the various clamour about it not capturing the times exactly. People who worry that the phones are anachronistic should get a life - this is a drama and I'm sure that some pompous lord somewhere had a go at Pride and Prejudice when it first came out. Prompted by a comment from one of the family I turned down the colour on the TV on a replay of a small segment on iPlayer on the Wii and with the slight blurring it looked very atmospheric so the triumph of Style over Content is complete.

I think I would take issue with the idea that the women in The Hour are too forthright. I'm pretty certain that the 1950's was not the earliest decade which gave rise to strong, independent women and the fact that many commentators feel the need to discuss it is quite disappointing as personally I feel it's not really worth comment this days. And if you argue that I have just commented on it I would reply that it was a meta-comment - comment on comment.

That is all.

No comments: