Thursday, April 01, 2010

But Why Would You Want to Oil a Snake?


It is indeed great news to see that Simon Singh has won his libel battle against the bone-crackers of the British Chiropractic Association who are just one of many organizations and individuals to sue in this country on the most flimsy of grounds. Cases are heard in this country on the basis of a few copies of a book ordered from overseas or viewed on a computer in Britain and this is just plain wrong. Now I can even understand that a few choice manipulations of various bones can help with certain musculo-skeletal conditions but the claims are way beyond that. The fact that is has taken £200,000 to sort this out is just silly. And (in my opinion - I'll just say that again - in my opinion) that Mr Justice Eady - what a [Phrase Redacted].

There is currently a Cardiologist being sued over something he said about a device made by a US company. We do not need good and clever people side-tracked by dubious and mercenary actions like this. We need science to be run by people who understand it and so I urge you to sign this. It is nice to be among the great and the good and Dara O Briain (only joking Mr O Briain).

And now to another group of charlatans - psychics. I see that the Lebanese equivalent of Derek Acorah has been sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia after being nabbed while on a pilgrimage. Now I really get annoyed at the superstitious being fleeced by the unscrupulous under the excuse of such quackery but to use the death penalty against it is an outrage. Much as I hate Derek Acorah, I would not want him killed - a little light verbal abuse should be enough). I also notice on his website that Acorah has carefully avoided the use of the phrase "due to unforeseen circumstances" against the announcement that one of his shows has had to be rescheduled. And as a point of order I would say that he is not a medium and is in fact very much below average (though not in income from all those gullible old ladies trying to get hold of Sid to ask where he hid the bank book).

V. Poor today isn't it?

No comments: