Thursday, November 05, 2009

Wintry Hill ...


... or When Technology Works Too Well

We are currently in the chaotic times between two major shake-ups of the digital TV signal in this area, meaning we are retuning almost daily it seems. However, now analogue BBC2 has been switched off, the signals from several transmitters seems to have been boosted to such an extent that our rinky-dinky little boxes are showing three channels for every one we had before and indeed showing the programmes on them as well. However, this means that unless we want to watch programmes from Wales (or heaven forbid the hinterland that is The Wirral though I'm not sure they have their own regional programming yet) I have to go through the channel lists pressing many coloured buttons to get rid of the channels we don't want. However, a bit of browsing has shown me that I can just find the UHF channels of the Multiplexers (ors?) that come from our main transmitter (mistyped as TramSitter in an IM earlier today) and tune each of these in individually. I think there is possibly a software download to my PVR which will do this automatically but as I blew the USB port on it months ago I have to resort to standard methods. Sad and lonely am I!

However, in other wireless developments we now have TWO PCs wireless enabled in the house after I was given a free USB wireless stick. Still - Sad and lonely am I!

No comments: