Thursday, October 01, 2009

McChrystal Reports



I have no theme for the month to come but I have a lot of notes, one of which is Pavlov's Dog, Amazon and the Safety Cup which is to do with the slight salivation that occurs whenever I see a parcel from that Particular online Emporium.

To start with something meaty we have banned books (well attempts to ban them anyway) - one step down from burning books which is then only a few grades under burning people. It is nice the see that Philip Pullman looks on his entry in the top ten as a badge of honour. I'd love to see what Sunday reading is like in the homes of people who think that banning such things is a good thing. I wonder what horrors lie under the beds of some of them. Knee jerks - with the emphasis on jerks. Let's go back to executing people for changing their underwear on a Sunday shall we. (deep breath - rant over). But before I finish on this subject, as far as I know there is only one f*** in The Catcher in the Rye - and it definitely needed to be there - it was the focus for the climax of Holden's crisis. Read the books you complain about people.

Aha - something a lot more measured now - The Art of Dying - Dan Cruickshank on his own death on BBC 4 yesterday - well let's face it many people have died on BBC4 before but only in the "Glasgow Empire" sense. Dan did reign in his usual arm-waving and breathy expostulations (as if humbled by their mention in the obituary he requested from the BBC) and together with this and the silences of a length not seen in any documentary that I remember, we had a measured approach to our own mortality. New things learned - Dan's father was a communist and he has a daughter.

I'm now in terrible limbo - the cursor was after that last full stop for sometime because I was thinking that I should really try and write more per entry if I am to make this a full month. I have many little notes in the book but none of them are worth expanding. You want to see inside my head? You couldn't handle it!

No comments: