Wednesday, July 15, 2009

There Will be no Demonstrations


Smoke Fairies - Frozen Heart

This came as a 5 track CD inside a beautifully austere 7 inch vinyl pack so it's back to the old days of limited edition music if only for a few minutes. And better still, they are supporting Richard Hawley at the Phil later this year.

It is probably this music which is making me feel slightly odd at the moment. Not unpleasantly weird but slightly offset from reality - maybe just the infinitesimal distance that hypothetically exists in the fourth dimension. I think Rudy Rucker actually suggested that we might have an additional sense that could actually detect this dimension. He also mentioned that educating oneself in the existence of the fourth dimension led one to be able to actually see it. he even gave techniques for imagining objects as collections of smaller units, actually keeping the internal structure of the object within your head. We actually do this with houses already - I can 'see' all the rooms in my house in my head and through the certainty and safeness of houses will be almost 100% certain to find the room I expect when I take myself there. Not sure if that ability has actually let me see a hypercube yet but I'm working on it. My current book is Finding Moonshine by the incomparably enthusiastic Marcus du Sautoy who is mainly writing about symmetry which can happily work with multi-dimensional objects - the maths works even if the visualisations don't. So I will look on my strange feelings as proof of my gradual moves into the fourth dimension. See you on the other side.

No comments: